The city contains several large squares -the main one is adorned with the Holy Trinity Column, designated as a UNESCO World Heritage Site; an astronomical clock in an uncommon Socialist Realist style; six baroque fountains and much more.
Other reasons to discover this city are listed below:
– Beers. Small breweries are growing a lot in Czech land. This is only a good thing for beer lovers, they are ruling the market and big corporations have to follow them, have increased the quality, adapted the way they produce beers to, more naturally to able to compete with small-family run breweries. This is an important lesson to be learnt. A better economy, run from below and not dictated from above is very possible. Support small beers, don’t be afraid to try unknown labels, avoid big names such pilsner urquell, staropramen, gambrinus. You can drink a MUCH better product if you only want, at least in Czech rep. Litovel, Holba, Bernard, … In Olomouc try the small brewery and pub Moritz, Svatováclavský pivovar and Měšťanský pivovar
– Hostel Poet’s corner. This small, cozy and genuine hostel has a nice story behind. You will have good time, meeting the owners of the hostel and its staff, they will give you all the useful info to discover Olomouc. You might join them for a beer and have good memories about Olomouc. The rooms are big, beds are comfortable and everything is quiet and kept clean. I liked the way it is decorated, the common room has old-style chairs and couches. You will also meet good and real travellers, for a laid back conversation and hang out time
– A visit to Olomouc is a perfect day trip. Use the high class service company Student Agency, for a cheap but incredibly comfortable journey. Hostess, will provide you with free water, newspaper and hot drinks… Their prices are the best in the whole country. From Prague it takes not more than 2 and half hours and it costs (only) 7 Euro! Olomouc is a compact city, no need to use bus or tram to move around, from train station catch the tram, ticket is 14 czk – something like 0,50€
– Park, botanic garden and…beer gardens. Enjoy the summer and the good seasons being outside in the city. There is a nice city park just outside the historical surrounded by medieval walls. Try to search for the ”hidden garden”. Is possible to visit a nice botanical garden, too.
– Olomouc will now be competing in the Extra League Hockey (the highest league
in the country) after a great season in first divison in 2013/14
The stadium is just around the corner from the Poet’s corner hostel. The Olomouc ‘Roosters’ have a strong following in Hockey mad Czech Republic.
– Olomouc is a University city, with almost the 20% of its population formed by students. It is the second oldest university in Czech rep, with all the good and dark sides: empty during weekend and festivities, crowded during week-days. Parties, bars, clubs, unconventional arts are there for you.